Start a new topic

Desktop access to Monument connected USB drives

I think it is very important to have access to the Monument connected USB drives via the network. If I use Monument to import my photos, I need to be able to access them from my photo editing software. At this point I don't care if the AI info is accessible via Lightroom, Photoshop or whatever but I need to be able to access the photo's from those programs so a network drive letter for each connected disk seems the easiest way to go..

39 people like this idea

How current is the roadmap now?  I also backed the kickstarter based on my understanding of the system capabilities that was so well articulated by @Bill several months ago, and am still looking forward to being able to access the device from my PC, store RAW, assign geolocation to photos, tag photos, etc.

I see incremental updates regularly, but am not seeing any additional functionality.

Right now I'm unsure if I can go into the folder I just imported and then re-organise the folders

This is a no-no at the moment with the approach we selected, but you can add folders there and rescan. We are not convinced ourselves that this is the best approach either.

@Monument: thanks for your reply.  I can see how it's a difficult product decision to make.  Perhaps you could offer the user the option to copy/move/leave the photos to put it into our own hands?  This would be a big deal for me and I'm sure others also.  Maybe put it to a community vote?

Right now I'm unsure if I can go into the folder I just imported and then re-organise the folders at all or if that will just ruin Monument's indexing of them all, and what that then means for Monument I'm not sure.  And then if I can just add more photos into it.  I was just testing the folder I have imported, expecting it to move the files so the folder structure etc that is there is not ideal from a long term preservation point of view.

1 person likes this

@Julian: We have debated this both ways, and our own camp is divided on whether the photos are to be moved. At this point, we have chosen to go the way it is, so that pictures are where you leave them, and as left, so there are no UX surprises. We will see how this plays, and if necessary, modify to a better approach in the future.

@Monument - firstly, I think this realease is a great first step.  My issue with this is that it doesn't move the photos into the Monument folder structure.  I think that anyone importing their photos into their Monument would expect this.  Part of the point of Monument for me is to have all my photos in one place, I'm looking to Monument to be this one place and to manage it all for me.

Thanks.

@Chris:

I read in another thread that plugging your hard drive into your PC after being used with Monument was not supported and may result in unknown behaviors.

This is not true. It will be fine as long as you do NOT alter the 'monument' folder at the root level of your drive. Any modification to that folder will result in unpredictable behavior. But we encourage you to connect your drive to your Mac or PC, copy a folder of pictures to the root level of the drive (highest level of folder hierarchy), and import that folder in the Monument App.

@Support -- I read in another thread that plugging your hard drive into your PC after being used with Monument was not supported and may result in unknown behaviors. Are you confirming that we are able to plug the HDD into a PC, transfer photos to it, and then plug it back into Monument and it will read those photos?

Does the harddrive offer direct access once we attach it to our computer? 

Just like any other drive attached to your computer.

>It would be great to have a folder where we could put images which then can be categorized once the drive is back in the monument.

Already implemented

Another question: does the monument contain a brain, a prozessor itself capeable of doing such task, or is it always necessary to have the phone connected?

Monument has an ARM cpu running Linux. The phone does not need to be connected.

Does the harddrive offer direct access once we attach it to our computer? Have not tried yet. If so, what are the dos and donts when dealing with the files? It would be great to have a folder where we could put images which then can be categorized once the drive is back in the monument. Another question: does the monument contain a brain, a prozessor itself capeable of doing such task, or is it always necessary to have the phone connected?
Also a "Pro-sumer user" and would look forward and welcome support for storage and sorting of DSLR Files. But I understand the difficulties in dealing with a dozen different RAW File formats. Please stay persistent in your vision for Monument. Us end users can be a pain in the butt as we are anxious to explore all the features, but don't let negative comments discourage you.

You can follow our most up to date feature roadmap here.

When will Monument be able to support importing photos from my computer via an application?

It is probably ok to observe as to how it organized the photos in there, but any alteration will result in unpredictable outcome. Not recommended. Proper HD import will be available as soon as we can implement it.

2 people like this

I know it's not perfect but you can unplug the HDD from the Monument device and connect it to your PC.  The files are all accessible and organised in a straight forward way.

I haven't test what this might do to the photo in the app though, there are thumbnails stored on the device and I guess it's highly unlikely they will be regenerated....

Yes. We still intend to deliver this.

Login or Signup to post a comment