Start a new topic
Answered

List of Compatible Hard Drives -- (Where 2 will fit in Monument)

I thought it would be useful for users to list hard drives known to be compatible with Monument, specifically those where it is possible to fit two drives within a single Monument unit.

For starters, does anyone know if the WD 4TB My Passport USB 3.0 Secure Portable Hard Drives (a) can be powered by a USB 2.0 connection, and (b) if two of them will fit in a Monument?

Please list any other hard drives you have tried that work below.

Thanks!

Adam

Best Answer

You can find recommended hard drives from our FAQ page reachable from here. The recommended drives are listed at the bottom, available from Amazon. Thanks.

The Monument Team

Answer

You can find recommended hard drives from our FAQ page reachable from here. The recommended drives are listed at the bottom, available from Amazon. Thanks.

The Monument Team

The hard drive question is a BIG ONE. I am setting up Monument for my elderly parents and my own family... and want to make sure I make the right decision. For me, it's not about saving a few bucks. It's about making sure I have something our family can count on for years to come. So I plan to buy as big of hard drives (i.e.: 2x for RAID-1) as I can find. Questions:

1. Can Monument support 3-Tb (or bigger) drives such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-HDTB330XK3CA/dp/B00T5ME88Y

https://www.amazon.com/HGST-Western-Digital-Company-0S03958/dp/B01BWMO6MC

2. Anyone know how to figure how what drives have the best reliability? This report seems to show that HGST and Toshiba have better track record as compared with Seagate or WD (even though I know HGST is part of WD). https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

Thanks!

I can respond to the first part of the question easily. You can find recommended hard drives from our FAQ page reachable from here. The recommended drives are listed at the bottom, available from Amazon. We would recommend staying with 3TB or less for the moment, as we are seeing issues with the current crop of 4TB drives that we have not been able to track down yet. We are testing with Seagate and WD.

Thanks! FWIW, I bought a 4TB WD My Passport drive (the one I linked to above), and it is working flawlessly. I'd also like to say that I know the Monument team has taken some flak for the product rollout, but I've been exceptionally happy with my unit. I really only wanted something that would provide some security for my photos by conveniently backing up my (and my wife's) iPhone. That it does without incident. The rest is bonus functionality. Another feature suggestion: I know that some apps (especially music or podcast apps) have a setting that allows you to suspend the auto-lock function on phones, so that the music player controls of the app are always available. It would be great to do something similar to the Monument app so that you don't need to keep unlocking the phone to keep the app open when uploading a lot of pictures. Thanks! Adam

1 person likes this

Awesome Adam. :-) You may want to some of those feature requests to here.

I ended up using a WD Elements 1TB, however the factory NTFS format didn't work. After a re-format on Windows, it worked ok.

Stuart, thank you for this information. We have been pin trying to pin down exactly why some NTFS formats work an others don't, but this may provide a clue.

@Stuart, we have addressed issue. We found out that some factory formatted drives had particular Microsoft partitions that caused this issue. We will have a  firmware release addressing this issue this week.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment