Just received the device and started using it. I must confess, I did misunderstand the specs and was not aware that it works with the iPhone app only hence I think it best fits in the category «feature request». My fault but nevertheless, these are the missing features which make the unit hard to use if not useless:
1. I have some 50’000 plus photos on my PC. They are stored in folders titled according to events rather than date. I assert this is the standard situation for most users. Just very few people start without having already a collection in some sort of folder structure. I did not find a way to import this collection into Monument, keeping the given structure.
2. Obviously the only way to manage the pictures is using the smartphone. Frankly, managing a collection of pictures on a smartphone with its tiny screen is a nuisance and you cannot even use it in landscape mode. It is indispensable to have a program or app running on a desktop PC with a decent monitor and a keyboard. What are people doing if they have no smartphone? Of course there is a possibility to insert a SD card but again you only see the pics on the smartphone monitor. And what about the already existing pics?
3. It is being told that you can «Access your memories anytime, anywhere. On smartphones, tablets and TVs.» This is simply not true. As far as I see it, you have to have the Monument app installed to see the pictures. Again, you are bound to the tiny screen of a smartphone. How can you see it on an TV? How can you see it on a PC?
4. The Monument device is not visible in the network. This is a no go.
5. The face recognition is rather poor. Even in photos taken within a minute from the same point of view, same light, just a little different head pose the face is not being recognized. I assume, this will be refined as time goes by.
The most important points are 1. and 2. Without having access to a PC and the possibility to add pictures from an existing collection outside of a smartphone and maintain an existing structure, the device is rather a toy than a serious help to collect my photos. I am rather disappointed.
We know, and we did a lot more bug fixing than anticipated, but the good news is that we are finally there today. Updates to Apps and firmware coming in a matter of next few hours. This one is a big one.
OH Great job on the latest update! I was able to merge a bunch of photos by selecting them individully and give them a name. Then merge those with my big album with the same name. I haven't tried anything else yet but that was a biggie - woohoo! :-) Thanks. See, I knew you guys were bustin your tails. You'll get there. :-)
Yes we are, and very much appreciate the kind recognition. Cheers. :-)